How safe you are while swimming is influenced also by the actions you take before you get to the beach. These include:
- Deciding on the swimming location – visit https://www.zwemwater.nl/.
- Packing your backpack – these items may be useful: sunscreen, hat, sunglasses, sunshade umbrella, towel, water and snacks.
- Bad ideas like drinking alcohol or taking drugs before going to the beach. Don’t do it.
- Good sleep and regular physical activity also increase your safety while swimming.
While you are on the beach:
- Watch flags and know what they mean
- Pick beaches with lifeguards and follow their instructions
- Keep lifeguards’ corridor clear
- Go to shade from time to time
- If your body is heated by the sun do not enter the water rapidly
- Use sunscreen
- Observe the conditions: look out for strong currents or large waves
- Keep an eye on your friends
- Stay hydrated, drink water
- Avoid alcohol and drugs
- Keep an eye on the weather: if you see lightning or hear thunder, leave the water immediately